Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Go-To, Feel-Good Movie

It's sad how many weeks it's been since I've abandoned a post I started that was a thematic argument similar to my previous one. I'll probably have to abandon it for some more time now, then revive it with a new twist! On top of that, I long ago began a Taxi Driver/Hugo "look" at some of director Martin Scorsese's work. Ah, bear with me. On my list of "to-do's" is also to finally WATCH the new The Amazing Spider-Man trailer, then state my thoughts (not predictable at all). The suspense is killing me.

I'm enjoying my spring semester at college. It's both exciting and frightening at the same time to embrace just what I'm expecting from myself with my upcoming short film called Picture of Me. It's what I'd like to call a half screwball, half dark comedy that will be finished by May. Being a production student, I don't know what I'd do without turning to my favorites for both inspiration and calamity.



Sydney Pollack's 1982 masterpiece, Tootsie, definitely inspired the tone of Picture of Me. No, mine is not a cross-dressing or hidden identity story per se, but it is to be as absolutely wacky and crooked as the story will allow.


I'm not going to ruin Tootsie for anyone, but seriously, if it meets the criteria for a movie you'd typically like, what are you waiting for?! 

Instead, after watching it for the umpteenth time last week, I have to mention how much the little things really add so much to this film. 

One thing is the placement of items in the set dressing. For example, in almost all the scenes in Julie's apartment (Jessica Lange) there are things lying around in the background that say a lot about an otherwise not thoroughly-explained character. In one shot, I noticed a black & white photo on the wall which appears to be a picture of her father's country home which we see when it's visited much later in the film. I love that; it adds so much to character study.


Another scene is in Michael/Dorothy's (Dustin Hoffman) apartment where a bra is randomly lying over the headboard of the bed. In the context of the scene I found it hilarious to spot out. It's one of those things that has no point to the action of the scene necessarily, but at the same time adds so much to what is going on in the character's lives. In this case, Dorothy is going through a crisis of sorts with this new self-discovery and that bra just lying around in a way introduces a new sense of comfort.


Marry this movie. And let's see if I can post at least once per week.










2 comments:

  1. Dustin Hoffman is a great actor and 'Tootsie' was an instant classic.

    As for the background in the shots, that was some excellent set-dressing. These days it appears that the set-dressing is all about product placement, don't you think?

    At any rate, good luck with your short. Let us know when it's shot, edited and ready for viewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeremy. I also agree about Dustin Hoffman. He truly becomes the roles he plays.

      I have to agree about product placement. And it ends up taking me out of the story when I notice things like that, with that kind of motive. I appreciate some purposeful placement of objects in the shot. They add so much to the character and tell a story of their own. Sometimes in production it's all about the little things that are a result of great care, making every detail count.

      Will update on my short! Shooting begins the week after next.

      Delete