Saturday, January 7, 2012

Left hanging watching crazy 1982 film FRANCES


I began watching Frances (1982), directed by Graeme Clifford. It's based off of the true story of the 1930s outspoken and controversial actress Frances Farmer. The story unfolds what happened to her as a result of some radical actions she takes in retaliation to her unpleasant experience within the Hollywood studio system. It's quite an enticing tale while sill setting me up, I feel, for some kind of disheartening conclusion. The events all throughout are largely unfortunate, but they also engage through a passion-filled performance from Jessica Lange, and also beautifully haunting cinematography by László Kovács, who was cinematographer for 1969 classic Easy Rider; and for fans of romantic comedies, he was also responsible for making the visuals of My Best Friend's Wedding (1997) and Miss Congeniality (2000) look pretty.

So, I was watching this with my sister and because she had to leave I'll have to resume the final half hour at a later time. Don't you hate that? That's part of the reason why I don't watch many TV shows. Being left hanging is evil, but my final verdict for Frances will come soon enough. I'm just hoping I can resist trying to find out what became of the real Frances Farmer.



Photo Source: http://hiwaay.net/~oliver/jlfrances.htm


No comments:

Post a Comment