Monday, January 9, 2012

New movies for 2012: ROCK OF AGES

I know of several movies that are coming to the big screen this year, some of which are already predicted to become blockbusters. Aside from that, I've decided to break down my posts for upcoming movies, starting with one simple flick that marks one of my favorite Broadway experiences being adapted for film.

    
The stage musical turned movie musical -

ROCK OF AGES




Often, movie musicals do not meet the same quality as the stage version. This was my finding when I saw Grease on stage and on screen, and similar situations I've suspected in other productions such as Rent, Mamma Mia!, Little Shop of Horrors, and even Hairspray. The list does go on.

I still have to give Rock of Ages, directed by Adam Shankman, the benefit of the doubt. The movie version has cleverly added in a character played by Catherine Zeta-Jones, who comes across as the extremist church-lady villain. This type of humor was fun with the mother of Penny in Hairspray (2007), which was also directed by Shankman.

Personally, it must be admitted that what made the stage production shine for me was largely because of the mixture of 80s music and the comedy. It's not at all a heavy story that would call for crucial changes. If that light-hearted fun factor can be kept in the movie version, it should remain true to its source.

Official Trailer:


Rock of Ages is said to be released this June. What's your impression? For me, seeing Tom Cruise as an 80s rocker was a little startling.

Oh, and I have to say I think it's best if they left Don't Stop Believing out of this one. As nice as it was on the stage, and as much of a great song it truly is, I honestly think it needs a good rest before it can be once again resurrected to film and TV. I bring my dearest apologies with that statement, but let's face it.



Photo Source:  http://www.filmofilia.com/new-rock-of-ages-photo-82968/

Photo Source:  http://www.redcarpetcrash.com/2011/12/13/see-movie-stars-lip-sync-every-80s-rock-song-in-rock-of-ages/


No comments:

Post a Comment